ADU Electrical Services in Vista, CA
How to Get Power to Your ADU
If you are building an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) such as a workshop, attached garage, pool house, or guest house, you have likely wondered how you are going to power it. There are a few common ways to do this for ADUs. The first is by connecting it to your main power supply. The second is by installing a separate energy source. This second option can take multiple forms such as a generator, solar power system, or a localized connection to the grid through a dual meter panel.
At Kent Electrical Services, we can help you power your ADU, no matter what method you prefer. For every customer, we offer individualized solutions that can make your new space exactly what you imagined. ADUs require a good deal of electrical work, from establishing an energy source and installing wiring to fitting it with the perfect lighting. With us, you do not have to worry about juggling multiple contractors. Our comprehensive ADU electrical services in Vista can meet all your needs.
Secure a free estimate for your project by calling (760) 671-2350 or contacting us online.
The Kent Electrical Team Today!
“Kent electric came today to quote a job for pendant lighting. They were able to provide a reasonable quote and do the work right on the spot. While he was here, I had questions for Victor regarding other small projects. He was able to give me honest feedback about what I could handle myself, and an idea on cost for items I'd need a professional for.
Their work was clean, fast, and came out great. Couldn't be happier!”Denise S.
What to Consider When Choosing a Power Source for Your ADU
To help you determine how you might want to power your ADU, we have compiled the most important things to consider for each type of energy supply.
When connecting your ADU to your main power supply, you will have to:
- Ensure you have the appropriate amperage to support your ADU’s energy load. If you do not, then you might have to upgrade your electrical panel to increase your energy capacity.
- Install a subpanel for the ADU, which will host the independent breakers and circuits for the space.
Establishing a separate power supply for your ADU requires:
- Installing a dual meter panel, which gives you a second connection to the main grid. Your utility company will meter it separately.
- Adhering to local codes that concern where you can and cannot run cables or wiring.
Solar panels and batteries need:
- An ADU design that provides ample space for panels, as well as an optimal location for your battery.
Generators work best for:
- ADUs that you do not plan to use often. Generators can be a lifesaver in emergencies, but they are not ideal as a consistent source of electricity.
- Situations when you have ample space and ventilation to safely operate a gas or diesel-powered unit.
One important thing to note is that for all these methods, wiring is key. Whether you need to set up the electrical infrastructure to use power from a solar battery or must establish a connection between your ADU’s subpanel and your main panel, you must have effective wiring that adheres to local codes.